Below I am sharing with you my notes on my journey to health over these past few years. I have met some remarkable people who have helped me along the way, including Lyme Literate Medical Doctors (LLMDs), alternative medicine doctors, and US Track and Field athlete Perry Fields, who healed from a long battle with chronic Lyme disease. I want to point out that with Lyme disease, it’s so important to have a mentor, be able to trust people, and be open minded to the unknown. Sometimes healing is a scary place to be because it’s unknown and it’s your body trying to readjust itself after years of illness.
It has been shown through research that at the core of Lyme disease is toxicity and chronic infections. Lyme disease encompasses a whole lot more than just the Lyme bacteria itself. There are many different problems that cause the typical Lyme patient to have many debilitating symptoms. Such problems include co-infections, mold, heavy metal toxicity, problems with the adrenal glands, liver, interference fields, Candida, parasites, and a comprised immune system and detoxification pathways.
Please note that the below list is what I did after seeing various LLMD’s (Lyme Literate Medical Doctors) who properly tested me for Lyme disease and after years of antibiotics. If you suspect that you have Lyme disease or have just contracted it, I urge you to see a LLMD and get tested. These doctors are very well informed about the disease.
Here are some of the things I did to get better:
Interference fields are scars, jaw infections/devitalized teeth, or chronic localized infections (tonsils, appendix, sinuses). All of these could be causing a Lyme patient’s immune system to be compromised. Many doctors have found a link between chronic infection in the jaw and Lyme disease including a deficient detoxification system. If the detoxification pathways are already low and there is also a persistent infection in the mouth, many have argued that getting over Lyme would be that much more difficult and taxing on the patient’s immune system.
Diagnostic Supplemental Tests:
- First I saw if there were interference fields or some dental issue that might be causing compromising my immune system and therefore inhibiting my body from properly detoxing and ridding itself of Lyme. After having a thermal imaging test done (see below), I found that I had a major dental infection called a cavitation, which was causing my immune system to be compromised.Cavitation is infected bone, which can occur after the removal of wisdom teeth or a root canal. A cavitation is a hole in the bone, usually where a tooth has been removed and the bone has not filled in properly. When a tooth is being extracted, in a normal dental procedure, the surrounding periodontal membrane is usually left behind. When a tooth has been pulled, the body will eventually fill in the space in the bone where the tooth once was. When this membrane is left behind, an incomplete healing can take place, which can leave a hole or a spongy place inside the jaw bone.Inside a cavitation bacteria flourish and deviant cells multiply. Cavitations act as a breeding ground for bacteria and their toxins. I was also told that cavitations can also cause blockages in the body’s energy meridians and can exert far-reaching impact on the overall system. Some even say that cavitations are reservoirs of huge amounts of mercury or a source of low level or high level stress on the entire body.
- Thermal Imaging. Below is an example of thermal imaging which is taken from Dr. Dawn Ewing’s website. It shows where there might be an infection in the patient’s body. In the person below there is redness all down her neck and in the back of the jaw, which would be a sign of an infection or cavitation. In addition, typical on most Lyme patients is redness or a possible infection down the spine (in the picture on the right). This is where most of the bacteria and viruses are. If it’s near the teeth and your jaw is red, then you could have an infection that could be causing your immune system to be compromised. She had a book that was fascinating. Here is a copy of it. I highly recommend it!
- Meridian Stress Testing. This I recommend!! With all the testing out there I think this was the greatest one to show if I had heavy metals and a dental infection.Meridian Stress Assessment has to do with testing the meridians associated with Chinese medicine or acupunture. Meridians are channels through which energy flows in the body. Each organ, gland and body structure has an associated meridian, including the teeth.If someone had a bad tooth, or in my case, a bad infection where my wisdom teeth were, the energy flow through the merdian would be altered. This can affect the health of all the other organs on that meridian. For example, the upper left first molar tooth, is on the same meridian with the kidneys, liver, spleen, stomach, and breast. So, if this tooth has a problem, it may affect energy flow through the meridian and health of those organs as well.Meridian stress testing also has the capability of testing heavy metals in the mouth. Meridian Stress Testing
Heavy metals are becoming a huge problem in our society. One heavy metal such as mercury, is significantly more toxic than lead or aluminum. Being infected with Lyme disease presents a special problem when it comes to heavy metal toxicity, as Borellia Burgdorfi and other co-infections are thought to sequester metals. When they die, they release these metals into the body. Finally, Lyme disease sufferers tend to have detoxification problems, and are likely to accumulate and retain metals at a greater rate than a person with fewer health problems.
The use of mercury and silver amalgams have been reported to be a problem with people with Lyme. According to some sources not only does this add to metal toxicity but also affects the nerves in the human body. If it is too much to handle then it might react by swelling in the joints, pain and eventual deterioration of healthy tissue or organs. If a Lyme patient suspects that they have metal fillings, many doctors recommend seeing a biological dentist to get these removed.
The heavy metals most often implicated in human poisoning are lead, mercury, arsenic, and cadmium. Some heavy metals, such as zinc, copper, chromium, iron, and manganese, are required by the body in small amounts, but these same elements can be toxic in larger quantities.
Once in the body, they compete with and displace essential minerals such as zinc, copper, magnesium, and calcium, and interfere with organ system function. Toxic heavy metals have been said to lead to a decline in the mental, cognitive, and physical health of the individual. Many have actually found a link between autism and Lyme disease, including LIA also known as the Lyme-induced Autism Foundation.
Because Lyme has an effect on mental and cognitive health of the Lyme patient, doing a heavy metal detox as well as removing metal fillings is recommended.
What I Did:
- Once I saw an infection around my jaw with thermal imaging and the meridian stress test, I saw a Biological Dentist.
- After the visit I also made sure that I was brushing my teeth with a non-fluoride toothpaste. One example is Oxyfresh Toothpaste
- I read this article which really scared me about the bad side of Fluoride in our water system: Fluoride water
Purchase a Water Filter
Purchasing a water filter was one of the most important things I did for Lyme. Tap water, despite the regulations to keep it pure, is becoming filled with contaminants. Many sources point out prescription drugs are finding their way into our water systems, chemicals which can interrupt the production of thyroid hormones are finding their way, and heavy metals such as mercury, arsenic, chromium, cadmium, nickel and lead. Another problem in our water is said to be chlorine and fluoride which have been linked to bone weakening.
I purchased a good water filter.
EMF’s (Electromagnetic fields)
Electromagnetic Fields have a damaging effect to Lyme disease sufferers. Every cell of your body is made up of energy and it has been said that outside EMF’s can disrupt our inter- and intra-cellular communication. Because EMF’s can have a damaging effect on our immune systems, I purchased a couple of products that lessened my electrosensitivity.
Frequency Healing/Light Healing
Frequency healing can help stimulate connective tissue in the body known as the extra-cellular matrix. These tissues store nutrients and toxins that are either delivered into the cells or excreted into the blood stream or Lymph. Such devices for frequency healing, such as the Ondamed, send finely tuned frequencies to the person according to their condition. Each organ in the body generates a specific frequency; every virus, bacteria, parasite and fungus produces its own frequency as well.
Frequencies stimulate the cells and this has many benefits including: enhancing the release of toxins; reducing inflammation; improving absorption of nutrients into the cells; increasing cellular repair and regeneration; reducing edema; reducing the effects of geopathic and electromagnetic stress all of which lead to a more balanced metabolism and an increase in vitality.
Here are the following devices I used for frequency healing which was complementary to my Lyme treatment.
- Ondamed Machine
- Multi Wave Oscillator
- Zero Point Marketing
- Charged Water Tube (Tell them Heather sent ya for discount :)))
- MRS2000 (haven’t done this but people swear by it)
- Bionic 880 (haven’t done this but people swear by it)
Repairing Lost Minerals and Vitamins and Electrolytes
Many Lyme patients are depleted in minerals such as copper, magnesium, manganese and iron because Borrelia burgdorferi and Bartonella bacteria feed on minerals. Therefore, providing your body with enough mineral reserves is essential to a Lyme Treatment.
After Perry Fields told me that bacteria feeds on minerals I knew I needed to take them everyday pronto! EVERY DAY for the past 6 months ‘Ive been taking these
- Magnesium Spray(this is amazing!) it helps your body absorb it faster. Don’t forget Magnesium is GOOD FOR HEADACHES!!
- Vitamins and Supplements
- Once I started balancing out my electrolytes my heart palpitations went away.
- You can also purchase Coconut waters such as Zico or VitaCoco.
Inflammation from Lyme is said to be your body’s response from chronic infection. With toxins present, Lyme plays a huge role in causing inflammation in the body. Inflammation blocks oxygen flow to cells by suppressing the immune system. Without oxygen, red blood cells can’t get through the capillaries in order to make it to the tissues. As a result, cells don’t get the nutrients they need, which has a multitude of negative implications for the body. Cells need oxygen and nutrients in order to function.
Aloe Vera juice from the pure Aloe Vera gel has 12 natural substances that have been shown to inhibit inflammation without side effects. Aloe Vera juice may also support proper joint, muscle mobility and digestion.
Detoxification is so important to those with Lyme disease because most of the sufferers have compromised detoxification systems. Once the Lyme baceteria is killed off, toxins are emitted from the bacteria,which need to be properly flushed out of the system.
Detoxing Methods that have worked:
I made sure I did something everyday to get rid of the infection and detox.
- Coffee Enemas
- Ionic Foot Bath
- Detox pads
- Psyillum Husk/Benoite Clay: this combination is for removing toxins inside the digestive system. It is recommended to not take these with nutrients.
- Infared Sauna:
- Rebounding on a little trampoline
- Skin Brushing-whistle brush (groin, back of head, below chin, armpit towards the heart)
- Tox Away clay baths: This is the one I used. Tox Away. I used the Tox Away one)
- Note: I always found that detoxing was better at night! Try it.
- Sunglasses are also another way of curing some of the symptoms.
More on Heavy Metals
Heavy metals can wreck havoc with our nervous system. They are implicated in Alzheimer’s disease, multiple sclerosis, trichotilomania, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, Lyme disease, migraine headaches, insomnia, and Parkinson’s disease. They are also implicated in brain fog and many other mental conditions including depression, anxiety, autism, ADHD, obsessive compulsive disorder, mood swings and many more.
Heavy metals are natural components of the earth and we need to ingest some of them in trace amounts to survive. The amount of metals we are now exposed to is hundreds of times higher than in the past. This is due to several factors: pollution, manufacturing practices, pharmaceuticals, modern dentistry, various industrial products, fertilizers, pesticides, herbacides, and fungacides that contaminate the environment. In short, it is not only in the plants we eat, it is also in the air we breathe, the water we drink and bathe in, the amalgams that dentists put in our teeth, the insecticides we spray on the ants in our houses, the over-the-counter and prescribed medications we take for common ailments, and in the pots, pans, and foils we cook and wrap our food in. Consequently, our bodies and the bodies of the animals we eat, including farm animals and fish, have become concentrated warehouses of heavy metals.
Heavy metals can cause many problems in the nerves and brain.
My heavy metal protocol was very important and really helped improve my health. I used broken cell wall Chorella powder and then a tincture bottle for the cilantro. I was on this protocol for four months. I made sure to take the Chorella everyday (3 ¼ teaspoons a day with water) and the cilantro (10 drops 3x a day) every two weeks for one week.
Digestive Issues/Restoring Good Bacteria/Gut Repair
People living with Lyme disease are often deficient in a number of very important nutrients, including vitamins (especially B12 and other B vitamins), antioxidants (especially coenzyme-Q10 and alpha-lipoic acid), minerals (especially magnesium), fatty acids (especially omega-3’s and GLA), and amino acids (especially carnitine). Those nutrient deficiencies due to poor digestion can leave the body unable to repair itself. In addition, taking months of antibiotics can be taxing on the digestive system by killing off the good bacteria.
I started killing off the Lyme after detoxing for several months. After reducing the load of toxins, killing off Lyme got a little easier.
There were lots of great things that I did to kill the Lyme. Some of the great products that I used include the ones below.
- Parasite Cleanse (However, before I did this I made sure I was detoxing for at least three weeks.)
- Two Feathers Healing Formula
- LDM-100 Antibacterial Formula (WARNING: the two feathers and LDM 100 are STRONG) please test one drop or start with samento (which is less, or black walnut tincture)
- Black walnut
- High C-IV. I did this several times to kill off some of the Lyme.
- Salt and C protocol. This is taken with 3g of salt and powder Vitamin C taken with water as a drink 4 times a day. I did this one week on and one week off. I used this salt, which was great! http://www.himalayancrystalsalt.com/. The Salt/C was pretty powerful.
- Oregano. I only used one drop of this in apple juice a day after all these other protocols. I thought at the time that it was best to only do one drop. I did feel that oregano depleted me in Iron at times so this is something to watch for.
When I was suffering with intense chronic Lyme, it was crucial to improve my overall diet, which included increasing the intake of specific foods that may be useful as rich sources of nutrients, and using optimal levels of micronutrient supplements, along with herbs. With Lyme, I began to experience a host of food sensitivities. This lessened once I properly changed my diet by eating mostly organic foods and a diet free of gluten and dairy.
- I eat a gluten free and dairy free diet. I try to stay away from processed sugar, alcohol and caffeine. I make sure that I eat organic most of the time.
- May favorite places to get sweets when I am craving chocolate:
Because the liver is in charge of reducing toxins in the body, it is overloaded in a Lyme patient. The liver is known as the organ of anger, rage, resentment, and lack of forgiveness. In fact, it has been said by many healers that any emotion that is toxic and needs to be processed and released can get stuck in the liver if one is not doing the inner work to release it.
The more these toxic emotions accumulate, the more compromised the liver becomes. I was shocked when I heard that this was really a physical fact. Essentially all emotions are biochemical events. The chemistry that comes along with emotions like anger, rage, resentment, fear, hopelessness, hurt, shame, self-pity, etc. all get processed in the liver. When these emotions become chronic, the chemicals related to the production of that emotion create toxic overload.
I found that once I started using methods to detox my liver, my emotions were more stable.
Colostrum is a nutrient that comes from cow’s milk. It contains a complete formula of essential vitamins, minerals, essential fatty acids, amino acids, immune factors and growth factors. Colostrum was designed by nature as part of mother’s milk to help the young grow up strong and healthy.
Antioxidants can prevent, or slow, the oxidative damage to our body. Antioxidants are substances or nutrients in our foods that can prevent or slow the oxidative damage to our body by mopping away the free radicals. They help to prevent cell and tissue damage, which is prevalent in a chronic infection of Lyme.
Lyme patients are being diagnosed with hormonal imbalances that are complicating their immune systems. Because hormones are important for regulating the immune system, treatment of these imbalances can be a necessary component to treating Lyme disease.
Many Lyme patients have complications with the thyroid and pituitary gland and adrenal glands, which are all glands regulating hormones.
I used the following to help regulate my hormones.
- Defense. This is great and keeps the parasites down.
Adrenal glands play a huge role in fighting illness, and are heavily involved in many of the body’s metabolic processes. They also help to regulate blood sugar and blood pressure. Cortisol, one of the body’s three major hormones; is responsible for a multitude of activities in the body. Many Lyme patients experience never-ending fatigue which is a symptom of problems with their adrenal glands.
Many people with Lyme can experience either hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism which can mimic many symptoms of major depression, including forgetfulness, low energy and the inability to concentrate. One thing I used was iodine.
It has been said that ozone mitigates some of the negative effects Lyme disease has on the body. It has the power to neutralize neurotoxin and re-establish a healthy bio-terrain. It is also very alkalizing, which combats the acidic condition created by Lyme disease.
Lastly once you are better: Live, Love and Never forget how strong you are as a person.
NOTE: Because I’m not a doctor I just want to stress that the protocol discussed above has just been my protocol for what has gotten me better in the past six months. I think everything I listed has been a major contributor to my healing. I can’t make any claims as to how these products may or may not help in your individual case or whether or not these may be useful for your unique body. Please, if you have any questions about a product, ask your doctor or naturopath and they might be able to help you.
Related My Treatment Pages
Do you need a health and wellness coach to help you through this process? I can help! To learn more, visit my site www.naturalpureliving.com